Mechanisms That Perturb
February 3, 2015 - 10:34pm
- Interrupt Cards, and/or Out of Turn Play
- “I want to do this.” “Nope.” “…Okay.”
- Worker Placement without Blocking
- "Worker placement without blocking is like beer without alcohol. It’s lite sour cream. It’s a wolf without teeth. It’s another metaphor."
- The Mimic: Choose any card to copy
- “This card can be anything, just name it.”
- Complex Line of Sight and Range
- "Counting around squares constantly is so tedious!"
- Trading, because sure?
- "Trading needs to be fully integrated by giving players a reason to trade."
- Variable Ending
- "I prefer games have a set time period, such as a deck running out, a finite number of rounds, or when a nigh guaranteed event will occur."
- If the game ends with no winner, Bob wins
- "It feels like someone’s getting an easy win."
- Losing earned points
- "This just feels nasty."
- The Passive Overflow
- "Remember that players can only track so many things."