March of the Ants is a insect themed 4X game (explore, expand, exploit, exterminate) that was successfully Kickstarted two years ago and received good reviews, selling out of their first print run in under a year. Now Weird City Games has put up a Kickstarter for the expansion, Minions of the Meadow, to be able to deepen the experience while still maintaining the aspects that made the base game successful. In March of the Ants you are the leader of an ant colony and it is your duty to expand you territory through exploration, make sure your colony is fed by finding food sources, evolving your ant into something stronger, and battling other colonies to be the best. Minions of the Meadow adds several new aspects to the game including:
- Major Workers – Each Colony can breed Major Workers, larger ants who evolve with your colony. Use their powers to scout the best territory or lead your armies to war.
- Aphids – Send your ants to find aphids and form a symbiotic relationship. Herd them to new hexes where they will have more space to grow and provide greater harvests.
- Tactics – Play Tactics like Feint, Ferocious Expansion and Savage Cannibals to catch your opponent by surprise and turn the tide of battle.
- Parasitic Evolutions – Infect your opponent’s ants and override their most powerful evolutions.
- Predators – Summon the Centipede Broodmother and the Trapdoor Spider, terrible beasts who stalk the meadow.
- Into The Lair – Venture forth to hunt for the Centipede Broodmother in the new solo and co-op game.
These new modules will enhance the game and still keep it a short set-up with a manageable length of just over an hour, much shorter than it’s sci-fi cousins Twilight Imperium and Eclipse. If this kind of game sounds interesting to you, head on over to the campaign page to pledge for you copy, and if you don’t have the base game, then you can pledge for a copy of that at the same time as well.