Devil Pig Games brings Heroes System Tactical Scale to the Warhammer 40,000 universe in Heroes of Black Reach. Designers Yann and Clem previously implemented the Heroes System Tactical Scale in Heroes of Normandie and Shadows over Normandie. Heroes of Black Reach is being released with two expansions and a demo kit, all of which are available for pre-order now from Iello.
On the hive-world of Black Reach, the Ultramarines, commanded by Captain Cato Sicarius, fight the Waaagh! ork, commanded by the Goff Warboss Zanzag. Like the previous Heroes System Tactical Scale games, units are represented by punchboard tiles.
Heroes of Black Reach is a game for 2 players, ages 14+ and plays in about an hour. The core game comes with rulebook, campaign with 8 scenarios, 6 terrain tiles, bunkers, Ork Units, Ultramarine Units, 100 cards (50 per Army), and 4 dice.
The Ultramarine Units in the core game include the following:
- Sergeant Telion
- Chaplain Elianu Trajan and his options
- Veteran Sergeant Daceus
- 1 Tactical Squad (Vandar) with its Rhino and options
- 1 Scout Squad with its Land Speeder Storm and options
- 1 Predator Tank
- 1 Razorback Tank
- Order tokens, Ultramarines 50-card deck, Wargear and Upgrade Options, Command Options, Vehicle Equipment and Personalisations
The Ork Units in the core game include the following:
- Goff Warboss Rockbrakah
- Snake Bites Weirdboy Gravebrakka and Psychic Powers
- Evil Suns Mek Grugnoz and his Grot Oilers
- Bad Moon Boyz with their Nobz, Trukk, and options
- Goff Stormboyz with their Nobz, and options
- Goff Nobz with their Trukk, and options
- Death Skull Burna Boyz, with their options
- 1 Deff Dread
- 1 Battlewagon
- 1 Trukk
- 1 Warbuggy
- 1 Mek Gunz
- Order tokens, Orks 50-card deck, Wargear and Upgrade Options, Command Options, Vehicle Equipment and Personalisations
The Ork Reinforcements expansion tells the battles at the walls of Gospora Hive, and Zanzag’s escape and includes the following:
- New rules
- Campaign with 4 scenarios
- Goff Warboss Zanzag
- Death Skull Painboy Grimsnagga and his Grot Orderlies
- Bad Moon Big Mek Kagbozak
- Goff Boyz with their Nobz, Trukk, and options
- Blood Axe Kommandos with their Nobz, and options
- Goff Runtherdz and Gretchins with their options
- Bad Moon Lootas with their options
- Goff Meganobz with their options
- Evil Sunz Tankbustas with their options
- Deff Dread
- 2 Warbuggy
- Mek Gunz
- Killa Kan
The Ultramarine Reinforcements expansion tells the battles at Sulphora Hive, taking place during Telion’s hunt for Zanzag, and the final fight between Cato Sicarius and the Ork Warboss. It includes the following:
- New rules
- Campaign with 4 scenarios
- Cato Sicarius
- Brother Vandius, the company banner bearer
- Honoured Brother Gaius Prabian
- Apothecary Venatio
- Tactical Squad (Octavian) with its Rhino and options
- Terminator Squad (Helios) with its Land Raider and options
- Devastator Squad (Tirain) with its Rhino and options
- Assault Squad (lxion) and options
- Bike Squad with its options
- Dreadnought (Ultracius)
- Vindicator tank
- Razorback tank
- Land Raider Redeemer
- Land Raider Crusader
- 2 Thunderfire cannons
- Land Speeder
If you are not sure this game is for you, check out the Drop Zone Demo Kit. It is a stand-alone game that will introduce players to the Heroes of Black Reach. Players will have to provide two six-sided dice, but the demo kit contains everything to play a full game in a scenario. Drop Zone includes the following:
- 1 booklet (containing the rules and 1 scenario)
- 1 battleground poster
- Brother Malcian
- 1 Tactical Squad (Solinus) with its Rhino
- 1 Dreadnought (Agnathio)
- Wargear and Upgrade Options
- Goff Boyz with their Nobz
- 1 Killa Kan
- Wargear and Upgrade Options
To learn more about this game, visit the Heroes of Black Reach website where you can find videos explaining the game rules, descriptions of units, and other support for the game.
Image from aandpcreative.com
Iello USA has appointed a new Social Media Manager. Dayanna Ramirez is the owner of the Florida-based A&P Creative, a digital marketing agency, and she will now be working with Iello USA to grow the brand in the US, and they will work together to introduce Iello games to more people.
Iello is the publisher of a large catalog of games, that span the gamut from light family games, to strategy games and War Games. In their press release, Stephan Brissaud, Chief Operating Officer of IELLO says, “We are excited to have Dayanna join our US team and bring her expertise and marketing skills to the promotion of our brand.”
In 2016 Codenames won the Spiel des Jahres, popularizing word based spy games. In 2018 Iello will release Decrypto by designer Thomas Dagenais–Lesperance, and artists Fabien Fulchiron, NILS, Manuel Sanchez. Decrypto places two teams pitting against each other to correctly interpret the coded messages their partner is trying to send them while at the same time cracking the code of the opposite team.
In Decrypto two teams face off against each other. Each player has a screen with places for four words, numbered 1-4. A single word card is placed by each number. Players on your team see your four starting words, while the opposing team does not see your words.
In round one, each of the teams has one team member that takes a code card that shows a three digit code made up of a non-repeating set of the 1, 2, 3, 4 digits from the starting screen, e.g. 4-2-1. Only the one team member with the code card creates a three word code to get their team to try to guess the code. “For example, if the team’s four words are “pig”, “candy”, “tent”, and “son”, then you might say “child-mouth-tail” and hope that your teammates can correctly map those words to 4-2-1.” If your team does not guess correctly they get a black mark of failure. Two black marks and the team loses.
Following your team guess, the opposing team will note what the clues were for the opposite team and what numbers they corresponded to. In future rounds the opposing team will also have a chance to guess your numbered code without the advantage of seeing the original words under the screen numbers. If they guess correctly they receive an interception token. Two interceptions and a team wins.
The game continues until either a team has missed guessing their own clue correctly (losing the game) or intercepts twice (winning the game). The game plays with 3-8 players aged 12+ in around 30 minutes.
Box contents will include:
- 2 super cool screens
- 48 Code cards
- 110 Keyword cards
- 4 Interception tokens
- 4 Miscommunication tokens
- 50 Note sheets
- 1 Sand Timer (30 seconds)
- 1 rulebook
Decrypto will hit stores frequented by spies and game-players in the first quarter of 2018.
Iello has announced plans to release Fairy Tile by Matthew Dunstan and Brett J Gilbert in February 2018. A family weight game, Fairy Tile will allow 2-4 players 8 and up a chance to create a new story adventure in around 30 minutes. Fairy Tile will release in brick and mortar stores on February 8th and online February 22nd.
Welcome to Fairy tile, a Kingdom of magical lands where a daring Princess, a devoted Knight, and a dreadful Dragon roam looking for adventure. They need your help to discover the Kingdom! Help them move further and further to fulfill their destiny and tell their story, page after page.
Image From BGG
In Fairy Tile gamers will develop the Kingdom by placing land tiles into play and moving the Princess, Knight, and Dragon pieces across terrain including mountains, forests, and plains. As the Princess, Knight, and Dragon participate in various adventures players will accomplish objectives written on their Page Cards. Once objectives are complete players will read the story taking pace on the Page of their Book out loud.
Fairy Tile comes from the minds of an impressive design team and award winning artist. Designer Matthew Dunstan is known for his design work on Costa Rica, Elysium, Relic Runners and Professor Evil and the Citadel of Time. Gilbert also partnered on Costa Rica, Elysium, and Professor Evil and the Citadel of Time. Gilbert has also done work on Divinare and many other projects. Artist Miguel Coimbra brings considerable talent to the project. Most gamers will be familiar with his work on 7 Wonders, 7 Wonders Duel, Imhotep, and Small World.
What’s in the Box?
Game contents include:
- 15 Land tiles
- 3 Character figurines
- 36 Page cards
- 4 Player Aid cards
- 4 Magic tokens
- 1 rulebook
In a collaboration between Games Workshop and Devil Pig Games (Heroes of Normandie), Heroes of Black Reach combines the Warhammer 40,000 and Heroes Tactical System of Heroes of Normandie into a new 2-player war game to be released by IELLO. The base box will feature 1 campaign with 8 scenarios between the Ultramarines and Orks.
On the hive-world of Black Reach, an Ork Waaagh! breaks, jeopardizing this sector of the galaxy!
You will soon be able to help the Ultramarines in their merciless fight against the Warlord Zanzag and relive the grim adventures of Captain Cato Sicarius and Sergeant Scout Marines Torias Telion!
Heroes of Black Reach is expected May 24, 2018. Visit the publisher’s page for more.
The big question in the board game industry right now is how to drive people to brick and mortar stores, and the current trend seems to be to institute a Minimum Advertised Price policy or MAP. So far we have had CMON and Iello both adopt such policies, and now two more companies add their names to the list; HABA and Asmodee. Asmodee’s policy is similar to CMON’s in that no product can be sold for less than 20% of it’s MSRP, online or in stores. What is good about this policy change is that in adopting a MAP, Asmodee has removed the restrictions to online sales, so online stores can now start carrying Asmodee products easily again. HABA’s policy is a little more strict in that all products must be sold for MSRP, and the only ones that can be discounted are the products that have been discontinued.
Will instituting these unilateral policies be good for the industry or will it lead to the bubble popping? We will just have to wait and see.
Iello has announced a new card game called Sentai Cats, and they are doing little to hide where they got their inspiration from. In Sentai Cats you are a team of cats who have been living a good life, but then Mecha Dog attacks and threatens to destroy the catnip factory. But the cats will have none of that, so they start training to be able to transform into Sentai Cats! Be the first to train your cats into powerful warriors for good, and you will be the winner. Not much else has been said about the game, but I am sure we will find out more as it’s September release date draws closer.
As convention season is in full swing, new game announcements are going to be coming fast, so lets get to it. First up is a new expansion to add to the innovative card crafting game, Mystic Vale, called Mystic Vale: Mana Storm. This expansion continues the trend of adding more of what you want, more cards, leaders, and advancements, while still adding something new to the game. This time around it’s leaders that can be upgraded, giving them more powerful abilities, and amulet tokens which are just like mana tokens except that have unique powers associated with them. So if you enjoy Mystic Vale, I am sure this expansion will just make the game that much better. Look for it on store shelves in October of this year.
Next is a monster pack for the second edition of King of Tokyo featuring King Kong. While this isn’t as exciting, except for the fact you can have a three way monkey showdown now, what is also coming in the box is a new way to win the game. What way is that you ask? Well, I don’t know, but we will all find out when this pack hits stores in October of this year.
Next we have the big box expansion for Legends of Andor that finishes out the epic story, Legends of Andor: The Last Hope. Krahder has ended his raid, and in the process has kidnapped many of the citizens of Andor, so it is up the heroes to rescue them. They will venture beyond the Gray Mountains to fight the hordes of skeleton warriors with Krahder leading them. Eventually you will work your way to Krahder himself to defeat him once and for all, bringing the overarching story of Legends of Andor to it’s conclusion. While the German version of the game has been released, the English version of the game will be released in October of this year.
After that is the latest set in the BattleCon series and that is BattleCon: Trials of Indines from Level 99 Games. This set brings an additional 10 fighters into the game with more new combos, moves, and strategies to give you greater variety in your BattleCon games. This game was previously Kickstarted back in October of last year, and so this year will see it’s fulfillment to backers, and retail release. No firm date yet is given but they do expect the game to ship this year to both backers and retailers, so look forward to it.
Finally we have an expansion to the popular tile based Cthulhu war game, Shadows over Nomandie, called Desert Wrath. In this set it takes you out of the typical theaters of war for the time and sends you to Egypt. There you will “follow the adventures of the Section M and accompany Captain Harris Badger and the Corporal Akhee Singh in their fight against the Black Sun in search of the legendary city of Irem“. This expansion includes the new Section M faction as well as the typical new units, spells, heroes, etc. that you come to expect in a big box expansion. So if you enjoy the game, and don’t mind the change of scenery, then this expansion will just bring more variety and replayability to the game. Check your local game store in late July for this expansion.
Origins is one of the biggest conventions in the US for gaming, and they have been giving out their awards for the best each year. The different categories include family games, role-playing games, card games, game accessories, board games, collectible games (CCG, TCG, etc.), miniatures, and finally a Game of the Year. Some of the past winners include great games like Codenames, Imperial Assault, and 7 Wonders Duel, so you know bad games aren’t getting these awards. But that’s enough background information, here are the nominees for the 2017 Origins Awards:
Family Games (6 Nominees)
Role-Playing Game (10 Nominees)
- 7th Sea: Second Edition by John Wick Presents (designed by John Wick, Mike Curry, Rob Justice, Mark Diaz Truman, Jesse Heinig)
- Curse of Strahd by Wizards of the Coast-D&D (designed by Jeremy Crawford, Tracy Hickman, Laura Hickman, Adam Lee, Christopher Perkins, and Richard Whitters)
- No Thank You, Evil! by Monte Cook Games (designed by Shanna Germain and Monte Cook)
- Star Wars: The Force Awakens by Fantasy Flight (designed by Tim Flanders, Corey Konieczka, and Sam Stewart)
- Shadowrun-Seattle Sprawl by Catalyst Game Labs (designed by Raymond Croteau, Jason Hardy, James Meiers, O.C. Presley, Scott Schletz, R.J. Thomas, Malik Toms, Thomas Willoughby, CZ Wright, and Russell Zimmerman)
- Symbaroum by Järnringen and co-published by Modiphius Entertainment (designed by Martin Grip, Mattias Johnsson, Mattias Lilja and Johan Nohr.
- Storm King’s Thunder by Wizards of the Coast-D&D (designed by Jenna Helland, Adam Lee, Mike Mearls, Christopher Perkins, and Richard Whitters)
- Star Wars: Edge of the Empire-Special Modifications by Fantasy Flight (designed by Blake Bennett, Tim Cox, Jordan Goldfarb, Sterling Hershey and Monte Lin)
- The One Ring: Horse: Lords of Rohan by Cubicle 7 (designed by Shane Ivey, Andrew Kenrick, T.S. Luikart, Francesco Nepitello, and James Spahn)
- Volo’s Guide to Monsters by Wizards of the Coast-D&D (designed by Jeremy Crawford, Ed Greenwood, Adam Lee, Mike Mearls, Kim Mohan, Christopher Perkins, Sean K. Reynolds, Matthew Sernett, Chris Sims, and Steve Winter)
Traditional Card Games (8 Nominees)
Game Accessories (4 Nominees)
- Blood Rage Organizer by The Broken Token (designed by Greg Spence)
- Dungeon Morph Dice Adventurer Set by Inkwell Ideas / Q-Workshop (designed by Joe Wetzel, Dyson Logos, Matt Jackson, Shane Knysh, Tim Ballew, Dave Millar, Sigurd Johansson, AJ Stone)
- Flip ‘N Tray Mat Case by Ultimate Guard (designed by Adrian Alonso)
- Improved D Total by Gamescience (designed by Dr. A.F. Simkin, Col. Louis Zocchi, Frank Dutrait)
Board Games (10 Nominees)
- Blood Rage by (designed by Eric M. Lang)
- Clank! by Renegade Games (designed by Paul Dennen)
- Cry Havoc by Portal Games (designed by Grant Rodiek, Michael Oracz, Michael Walczak)
- Feast for Odin by Z Man Games/Asmodee (designed by Uwe Rosenberg)
- Islebound by Red Raven Games (designed by Ryan Laukat)
- Mansions of Madness by Fantasy Flight/Asmodee (designed by Christopher Burdett, Anders Finér, Henning Ludvigsen)
- Scythe by Stonemaier Games (designed by Jamey Stegmaier)
- Star Wars Rebellion by Fantasy Flight (designed by Corey Konieczka)
- Terraforming Mars by (designed by Jacob Fryxelius)
- World’s Fair 1893 by Renegade Game Studios and Foxtrot Games (designed by J. Alex Kevern)
Collectible Games (5 Nominees)
- Yu-Gi-Oh Breaker of Shadow Booster by Konami (designed by Konami Digital Entertainment)
- Pokémon XY11 Steam Siege Booster by Pokémon USA (designed by The Pokémon Company)
- Magic the Gathering: Kaladesh Booster Pack by Wizards of the Coast
- Marvel HeroClix: Uncanny X-Men Booster Brick by WizKids (designed by WizKids)
- Cardfight Vanguard Fighters Collection by Bushiroad
Miniatures (5 Nominees)
- Warhammer 40,000 Kill Team by Games Workshop
- Konflikt ’47 by Warlord Games (designed by Clockwork Goblin Miniatures)
- Dragon Rampant by Battlefront/Gale Force Nine
- TANKS by Battlefront/Gale Force Nine (designed by Andrew Haught, Chris Townley, Phil Yates)
- Dropfleet Commander by Hawk Wargames (designed by Andy Chambers and David Lewis)
IELLO has posted a second trailer video for its upcoming arena combat board game, Arena For The Gods, designed by Maxime Rambourg (The Big Book Of Madness). This video highlights some of the mechanisms and components of this upcoming cousin to King of Tokyo and Ultimate Warriorz. In Arena For The Gods, 2-6 players bid with health tokens to buy cards representing equipment, spells, mounts and general tools of destruction. Players then have 2 rolls of the custom dice in order to move about the arena, fight, and activate their cards, dealing death and destruction to the other combatants. The last warrior left standing is the victor.
Arena For The Gods is due for pre-release at Origins Game Fair in June 2017, then in stores on June 28. The newest trailer video can be seen here.
Prev123...7Next Page 2 of 7