Fantasy Flight Games has announced a new age: a new age of Twilight. Twilight Imperium, that is, in the form of a fourth edition of the epic 4x space strategy game that has been loved and celebrated in the gaming industry for many years. This new edition celebrates 20 years of this epic space opera board game of expansion, diplomacy, and war to control the galaxy, best explained in this excerpt from the official release:
For twenty years, the custom space operas created by Twilight Imperium have thrilled gamers like nothing else. Now, Twilight Imperium Fourth Edition builds on the grand space opera found in previous editions while streamlining rules and putting player interaction center stage…Twilight Imperium Fourth Edition aims to be the most complete version of the game ever printed. Seventeen playable races are included in the game, offering a wide variety of starting faction options. Twilight Imperium Fourth Edition brings a galactic space opera to your table, and no two games will ever be the same.
This new version of the game will include 350 plastic units, 51 system tiles, 561 command and control tokens, 80 action cards, 50 agenda cards, 40 objective cards, 59 planet cards, 184 technology and technology upgrade cards, 41 promissory note cards, and much more.
TI veterans will likely be asking (as I did!) what the main differences are between TI3 and TI4. Some of the main changes include a stunning new graphic design and layout, but with the same great and familiar artwork flavor. Additionally, changes will be seen in game mechanisms such as Trade, Technology, PDS Units, Space Docks, Politics, and the Imperial Strategy Card, to name a few. FFG has anticipated the question of specific changes to the game in their product description, which can be read here.
The game is scheduled for release in the fourth quarter of 2017. To read the entire article that announces the new version of the game, click here.
Asmodee released a news update, which includes several items of note:
- Two games and one expansion were released:
- Histrio, a game in which players tour the kingdom to recruit actors skilled in either comedies or tragedies, forming an acting troupe to hopefully please the King.
- StoryLine: Fairy Tales, a storytelling game in which you and your friends submit and select cards in order to tell a fantastic tale.
- Under The Mask, the third expansion to the wildly popular narrative adventure game, T.I.M.E. Stories.
- Two new family games were announced:
- Loony Quest, a wild and fast-paced game in which you briefly glance at a level of obstacles and traps and try to draw a safe voyage through them from memory.
- The Little Prince: Make Me A Planet, a turn-based planet-building game, in which you collect items and characters from The Little Prince universe in order to construct the most balanced and beautiful planet.
- Two new expansions were also announced:
For more information on these releases and upcoming titles, you can view the full news update here.
As you may know, the board game industry has changed this April, with Asmodee North America
(ANA) implementing new policies
for distribution of their games. According to ANA, the central concept for the changes is:
It’s important to support brick and mortar retail stores since they help grow the audience and build the hobby.
Following this idea, Stronghold Games
is announcing a new Demo Copy Program
. Friendly Local Gaming Stores (FLGS) will be allowed to get heavily discounted and/or free copies of board games for demos and playing. If you have a favorite FLGS, fill out the request form
so you can let them know which games you’re interested in trying out.
NOTE: Upon publishing this, Stronghold Games provided an update:
Our Sales & Marketing partner, PSI, indicated to us late yesterday that they would like to roll out the Demo Copy Program more slowly, ensuring that everything is working smoothly. This slight correction takes place immediately:
PSI will begin the Demo Copy Program
during the last week of April
To ensure that we can provide the best service possible, the official start date of the Demo Copy Program is being moved to the last week of April.
At that time, demo copies will be available directly through our partner, Publishing Services Inc (PSI).
Powerful new figures join the Rebel Alliance, the Galactic Empire, and the Mercenaries of the galaxy with these Ally Packs and Villain Packs! Each expansion offers detailed, sculpted plastic figures to replace the tokens included in The Bespin Gambit, and they also expand your games with new Agenda cards, Deployment cards, Command cards, and missions for campaigns and skirmishes.
Fantasy Flight Games announces four new mini-expansion packs for Star Wars: Imperial Assault, with each listed below and some highlights as to their featured abilities:
- Lando Calrissian Ally Pack
- Charismatic Scoundrel. No matter where you employ the help of Lando Calrissian, his resourceful nature and cheerful disregard for the rules are certainly useful assets to your heroes. Tough Luck card: after your opponent rerolls a die, they remove that die instead.
- ISB Infiltrators Villain Pack
- Imperial Security Bureau agents. Hidden condition: reduces enemy accuracy and gains surges to deal more damage and increase accuracy. Coordinated Raid ability: allows another figure in the group to interrupt and perform an attack.
- Agent Blaise Villain Pack
- Methodical warrior and an expert interrogator. Under Surveillance card: allows you to record a hero’s favored attack methods and unleash your knowledge when the heroes least suspect it.
- Bossk Villain Pack
- Deadly Trandoshan bounty hunter. Wild Attack card: when you declare an attack, immediately add one red die to your attack pool.
These figure packs are designed to accompany The Bespin Gambit big-box expansion for Imperial Assault and are expected to be released in the second quarter of 2016. For more information about these new figure packs, visit the release article here.