There’s been several attempts, over the years, to present digital means of playing board games. Take, for example, Vassal which provides the board game community an online option of playing and testing a variety of board games. Owning nearly every board game app myself for the iPAD, I’ve apps try similar feats – such as Card Warden and several other apps. So, upon learning about this new solution (Tabletopia) I really wasn’t expecting much; but boy was I wrong.
So what’s so different about Tabletopia? Well, first of all the graphics are superb. Take a look at this side-by-side comparison of Imperial Settlers.
Here’s what the designers have to say about the app:
Tabletopia is a sandbox. Players should know the rules of the game to play it. There is no AI or rules enforcement, but at the same time it has the freedom to play the game your way – exactly as if you were playing at a real table. However, we have done a lot to make each play for you a good experience:
- automatic game setups, card dealing, drafting etc.
- player’s turn control, timers, game phases indication
- interactive zones on the table with predefined automatic actions
- intelligent counters for tracking victory points and many other in-game parameters
- custom surfaces, game room wallpapers, sound effects advanced camera controls … and many other useful features!
Tabletopia will be released, first, via browser on PC and Mac with downloadable clients (via Steam) as well as iOS app oppotunities in the near future. To learn more, as well as fund the project, head on over to their Kickstarter campaign here.